[78-L] Victor Master question

Harold Aherne leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 27 14:02:48 PST 2009

Also intriguing about this set is the fact that one of the discs says "VE" and
has "Orthophonic Recording" arched over Nipper--the style in use on most
Victor records I've seen from 1928-35. Yet the other three do not have electrical
recording indicated on the label, suggesting that they date from the 1935-37
scroll years...and in spite of that, the wording to the left of the spindle hole says
"For best results..." etc., instead of "Not licensed for radio broadcast" as virtually
all Victors from 1932-37 do, at least in the popular series.  It's just one of those
things that makes record collecting so joyous!

Also, I recently acquired a Vincent Rose/Art Hickman Victor from 1924,
recorded and pressed on the west coast, and the font is *very* different from
any other that Victor used from 1914 until the early 50s (that I've seen, of course).
The titles are in a serif-font which looks sort of like that on Columbia in 1925-26 (only
larger) and the names of the bands are in a thick sans-serif font. Was this used for
all Oakland pressings at the time, or only for masters recorded on the west coast?

-Harold