[78-L] Pennsylvania 6-5000, more

Bob Rice bobrice at snet.net
Fri Feb 27 09:05:19 PST 2009

  Ya think THIS was bad? Look what they did to Penn Station, right across
the street!The elegent old romanesque pile of marble that greeted travelers
in the Chatanuuga Cho Cho daze?"You leave the Pennsylvania Station at a
quarter to 4, read a magazine and yur in Baltimore"Well it would only be
right that the Pennsylvania Hotel STILL has the great old number. Hell,
nowadaze, it has little ELSE? More of our heritage gone to hell!

   The Station was built top last 800 years! That's what they SAID, sigh.We
used to dig around what passes for the Origional ediface. Little almost
hidden "leftovers" that linger on, IF ya know where to look?Had alota
layover time at Penn as an engineer for Amtrak!BEFORE security, after 911
you could prawl the increadable catacombs BELOW the station!The whole thing
was amazing!Not to mention 16 MILES of RR tunnels below the Hudson and East
Rivers that, I'm sure you eastern 78ers MAY still travel, if you ride the
LIRR or Amtrak, or Jersey Trainset? Look about, the Modern Marvel of 1910,
STILL serving today! I'm thinking of the TRACK level, STILL as built!

   In Training

   Bob

    Happy note here: P.S .died so GRAND CENTRAL TERMINAL(Not Station) LIVES!
I shout it, as you will get goosebumps walking into the vaulted halls there,
as God intended, in 1913 when it opened! Kudos to the Metro North Commuter
RR folks , who put the GRAND back in Grand Central!YOUR tax bux at work.
SMILE!