[78-L] The Columbia Record Shop radio program series

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Feb 24 17:56:29 PST 2009

Does anybody know about, or have materials for, a syndicated radio
series around New Years 1947 called The Columbia Record Shop?  I just
got a six-pocket 10-inch album of a generic Columbia type that has The
Columbia Record Shop on the spine and printed in the white rectangle on
the cover "RECORDS for The Columbia Record Shop, Program No. 7,
Broadcast Date Feb 22, 1947".  The number and date are rubber-stamped in
appropriate blanks.

It might be something like RCA Victor's "Music You Want" where they sent
stations weekly scripts for records the stations would already have in
their library or would be sent especially for the program and were then
to be put in the station's library.  I've got several variations of the
theme song record, which I think was Bach's Air in G, and a whole binder
of scripts from the 1950s.  But these Columbia's would all be
10-inchers, and I wonder if they had special labels, and were they pop
or classical or mixed.

Anybody have any records, scripts, info from catalog ads, etc?

Mike Biel   mbiel at mbiel.com