[78-L] Two mysterious Varsitys

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Feb 24 01:14:21 PST 2009

David Lennick wrote:
> Today the Sally Ann in Niagara Falls NY yielded up an album containing the
> filthiest Varsitys I've ever seen (yes, two of them were John Ryans, but I
> already had them). I picked up a couple, and neither is in Rust..although one
> of them I expected to be in Russell, for reasons which will be obvious.
>
> 8185	LANG THOMPSON & HIS ORCHESTRA (vocals: Chuck Eaton, Peggy Nolan)
> 	LAST NIGHT ON THE BACK PORCH/ROW ROW ROW
> 	(hotel band, sounds like Orrin Tucker)
>
> 5098	CODY'S COWBOY BAND with singing:
> 	BLACK EYED SUSAN BROWN/WHEN IT'S DARKNESS ON THE DELTA
> 	(Crown masters C1974/5)
>
> "Cody's" is the real surprise..it ain't no cowboy band at all! It's a decent
> early 30s dance band with some nice playing, and a vocalist who sounds a bit
> like Ozzie Nelson. (Somebody go get that shotgun away from Simmons.)
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> dl
I do have a Lang Thompson Varsity somewhere. Rust is weak on that label.
I also have a Cody's Cowboy Band on Varsity 5112 which is from the
following session:

c. July, 1932
Adrian Schubert And His Orchestra
Robertson as “Bob Dixon” on 1797 and 1799, “Cliff Reynolds” on 1795 and
1798.

1794-2	Three Kisses	Crown 3363 (Embassy Dance Orchestra), Var 5112
(Cody’s Cowboy Band)

1795-2	From A.M To P.M. Crown 3365 (The High Steppers)
1796-2	I’ll Never Be The Same – vDR?	Crown 3363 (Embassy Dance Orchestra)

1797-2	I'm Yours For Tonight Crown 3364

1798-2	Here's Hoping Crown 3365 (The High Steppers)

1799-2	Moonlight On The River (waltz)	Crown 3364, Var 5112 (Cody’s
Cowboy Band)

      Julian Vein