[78-L] question about a 78

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Feb 21 22:35:08 PST 2009

Does the label say it is a 78??  It is highly unusual for a 16-inch disc
to run at anything but 33.  The chip flies off the record too fast while
it is cut at that high speed.  George Blacker found a Columbia Royal
Blue test pressing of an experiment Columbia made of cutting a 16-inch
at 78, and I now own it.  It is the only one either of us had ever
seen.  The only other example we know of are the overdub sub-masters
that Les Paul recorded before he got his tape recorders.  Is this record
a pressing or a lacquer?  This record's label might have a check-off
place for 33 and 78 and he might have just assumed it was at 78 if
neither box was checked off.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com