[78-L] Shipping 78's

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Feb 21 16:33:02 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pete" <graffen47 at hotmail.com>
> Hi, I've just recently gotten into collecting, and trading records, esp.
> the older 78's. I'm not sure how many people do this, but I love trying to
> collect as many different labels as possible. There are so many colors,
> and it's amazing how vibrant some of them still look after 70 or 80 years.
> Anyhow, I noticed in one of the threads a discussion about proper
> shipping. Lets assume I'm a complete novice (which I am ). Could someone
> kind of walk me through exactly what's needed and how to pack it. For
> example, if I were to go to the store today, or online, exactly what
> supplies should I order, and what is the safest way to ship single 78's
> and multiples? I did notice a lot of the issues from the 40's and 50's are
> really fragile and it doesn't take much for them to break or crack or
> sometimes even crumble in your hands lol. Any help or advice would be
> greatly appreciated. I want to do this right from the gate. Thanks again.

(Fairly) Simple, in fact!

First...INDIVIDUAL shellac records are VERY fragile; they will break before
they will bend! However, when in stacks of three or more, the stacks won't
break. Moral of the story is this: shellac records must be shipped in
"stacks"...
with unwanted records being added to single-record shipments; these unwanted
discs are usually called "packers." Once a stack of records has been
assembled,
it is then held together with tape (cloth or fibre-containing tape is
preferred!!).

Second...a stack of three shellac 78's weighs about 1.5 lbs. If this is
shipped
in an ordinary cardboard box, it is very possible that the shipping box will
NOT survive the rigours of the postal system...?! This results in a mail bag
which contains the stack of 78's...and MAYBE the battered remains of the
carton which once contained it...?! Thus, make sure the name & address of
the recipient is ALSO on the stack of 78's...!!

So...
1) Assemble and tape together groups of at least THREE 78's...putting
"packers" at both ends of each group.

2) Place these groups in sturdy cardboard cartons, filling the space not
occupied by 78's with crumpled-up newspaper (NOT styrofoam
"peanuts"...PLEASE...?! Ecru the ecru cat will attempt to "kill" each
and every "peanut," littering the place with their "last mortal
remains"...?!).

3) Tape EVERY join of the surfaces of the aforesaid carton with good-
quality NON-tearable sturdy tape...!

4) Hope and pray...?!

...stevenc