[78-L] Mildred Bailey, child of 1900

Harold Aherne leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 20 18:07:17 PST 2009

In that case I'll go ahead and post my findings. Here's the Rinker
household as enumerated in Whitman county, WA on 22 April 1910:

Charles D. (age 34)
Josephine (31)
Mildred E. (10)
Miles L. (5)
Alton M. (3)
Vinson (1 year, 3 mos.)

Mildred is also present in the 1900 census; her month of birth is listed as
February 1900 (although her name is incorrectly given as Millard). Her parents
had been married for a year at that point. Al(ton) is listed in the 1920 census
(taken in January of that year) as a 13 year old; Mildred was no longer living
with them, but a step-daughter Norene (9) had been added, and a brother
Charles (8).

So it appears that Mildred Bailey is actually seven years older than most
later sources indicate. There's no surprise in the fact that she'd drop some
years; I just don't remember seeing this information given elsewhere. Likewise,
1907 is always given for Al's birth year, but if 20 December is the correct day
then 1906 would seem to be the correct year, per these census data.

Anyway, I thought it was rather interesting and just wanted to share. I'm not
a professional genealogist, and more research would be needed to publish
these findings in a book or a journal (school records, e.g.). But it does give some
insight into the Rinkers' background, which has rarely been discussed as far as I know.

-Harold