[78-L] Frank Luther items on my want-list for decades

Guyotsmith at aol.com Guyotsmith at aol.com
Thu Feb 19 15:32:25 PST 2009

In a message dated 2/19/2009 1:10:48 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
banjobud at cfl.rr.com writes:

I was  always impressed with Frank Luther's recording of "You're As Pretty As
A  Picture," that he did with Carson Robison.  His deliberate Jimmy  Rogers
imitation on this was the best I've heard.

Bud

Frank did have a talent for sounding like others,  didn't he? He could do the
Vernon Dalhart style very well (my home,  incidentally, is quite near the
house where Dalhart lived during the peak years  of his recording career, and I
pass his street each afternoon). When Frank  recorded the Jimmie Rodgers songs,
he captured the right feeling. There are some  early recordings in which
Frank sounds very little like Frank!  By the time  he did his wonderful ARC
recordings with Zora and Len, focusing on Bob Miller  compositions, he was letting
us hear the "real" Frank Luther. His versatility -  and the many pseudonyms
under which his product was released in the early days  of his career - have
probably worked against the popular recognition he should  have received in later
years.

Jonathan
steps!
%3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)