[78-L] Frank Luther items on my want-list for decades

Guyotsmith at aol.com Guyotsmith at aol.com
Wed Feb 18 17:42:02 PST 2009

In a message dated 2/18/2009 7:21:09 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Dnjchi at aol.com writes:

Back in  the '40s, my hometown held a Red Feather Campaign (later Community
Chest, later United Way).  I was just a kid, but I went to see  the
entertainment at the community center.  It was Frank Luther  who played the
piano and
sang appropriate songs.  I was not  bold enough to meet him or talk  with him
about
his career.  8>(
Don Chichester

Don, that's a wonderful anecdote. I remember the Red Feather  campaign, and I
think youngsters who donated actually received a small red  feather. How
wonderful that you had an opportunity to see Frank play and sing!

When he wrote his musical, "Tom Sawyer," he first tried it out  on audiences
via a one-man show, singing all the songs (accompanying himself on  piano) and
playing all the parts. That would take a lot of energy. I  suspect that few
people today are willing or able to perform solo for any long  of time.

Best,

Jonathan
steps!
%3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)