[78-L] Frank Luther items on my want-list for decades

Guyotsmith at aol.com Guyotsmith at aol.com
Wed Feb 18 14:56:24 PST 2009

In a message dated 2/18/2009 11:51:28 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk writes:

Can't  help you Jonathan, but I'm after one Luther record, Dec 1886
("George M.  Cohan Medley") because, I believe, Dick Robertson makes an
appearance  thereon. Perhaps you could tell me if he's present on other
titles from  these sessions (May 3 and June 14, 1938)?

Julian  Vein

Julian, it's good to hear from you - and I do have Decca 1886.  It is as
follows:

MEDLEY OF GEORGE M. COHAN HITS--Part 1   (63774-A)
Give My Regards to Broadway--Frank Luther, Zora Layman, Len  Stokes
I Guess I'll Have to Telegraph My Baby--Frank  Luther
Mary's a Grand Old Name--Dick Robertson
Life's a Funny Proposition After All--Frank  Luther
Forty-Five Minutes from Broadway--Frank Luther, Zora Layman,  Len Stokes

MEDLEY OF GEORGE M. COHAN HITS--Part 2 (63969-A)
I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy--Frank Luther, Zora Layman, Len  Stokes
Harrigan--Dick Robertson
Then I'd Be Satisfied With Life--Frank Luther
So Long, Mary--Frank Luther, Zora Layman
Grand Ole Flag--Frank Luther, Zora Layman, Len  Stokes

As far as I can determine, Dick Robertson is not present on  any of the other
sides done during those two sessions. Both sessions focused on  Frank's album
of American folk songs. It would be interesting to know how the  single
record of George M. Cohan songs came about. Perhaps it was initially  intended as
part of an album set of popular songs of that era. At any rate,  Decca
evidently kept it active in their catalogue until the war - like some of  the items on
my weary want-list - but it remains elusive to those seeking it.

Best wishes,

Jonathan
steps!
%3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)