[78-L] The value of 78s in New Zealand

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Feb 18 00:06:06 PST 2009

Adam Miller wrote:
> (For Mark Hendrix)
>
> Sorry to use the board to follow up Mark's private email to me on this topic, but my replies to him always get bounced back.

I'm glad you did send this to the list, for reasons below.
> First, thanks for the feedback - I've made the changes re acetates - they're now lacquers.

OF COURSE I had also noticed this, and wish to thank Mark for doing what
is usually my job!  :-)

> Secondly you can purchase my book through Paypal from adam78 at clear.net.nz, cost to the USA is NZ$127 incl airmail p&p
>
> Adam.

I had lost track of the links to your book and now will be ordering a
copy.  I've been thinking about it for quite a while but the info is on
my other computer and hard to get to.

Your page about the values of records in New Zealand is fascinating.  I
love knowing how record collecting is in other countries.  Of course we
Americans were drooling over even the records illustrated in your Boring
page!   I disagree about whether comedy wears well -- even if it doesn't
it is still interesting, and I'd LOVE to have that Tommy Trinder's Stage
Show on Regal Zonophone!!

Your page brought back to me my first morning in my one trip to New
Zealand.  I had selected Wellington as my free stop-over on my way to
Canberra for the International Assoc of Sound Archives conference in the
late 90s.  When the airport van driver saw me taking videotape during
the drive he asked me if I wanted to take a scenic drive since it was so
early on Sunday morning (7 a.m.)  I said sure, and one of the places we
passed by was a flea market set up in the parking lot of a shopping
center.  I made careful not of how to get back to it, and was there by 9
a.m.  I knew I couldn't get too many records, so I was very selective,
much like your instructions!  I went more for content than for labels.
I also knew I had another two weeks in Australia after this.  If I
didn't have to worry about getting the breakables in my carry-on I could
have gotten much, much more I am sure.  I forget what I did get and what
I passed up that morning, but I have it on videotape.  The flea market
had to wrap up by noon because the shopping center was going to be open
that afternoon as a test breaking of the ban on Sunday shopping, so I
had a chance to do store shopping on Sunday which I hadn't expected.

The next morning found me in a record shop (CDs not 78s) I had found out
about in my research, and while waiting to check out I accidentally
bumped the guy in front of me who was buying two of all the CDs he was
getting.  I said "Excuse me" and he turned as said "Hello Michael."  I
couldn't believe it!  It was Pekka Gronow from Finland!  "Pekka!  What a
big surprise to see you here!"  He replied "What better place to meet
than in a record store."  While ordinarily it would be phenominal for
two friends from Finland and the U.S. to run into each other in New
Zealand, we both realized immediately that we were both on our way to
IASA.

It is always interesting being a collector in a different environment,
and also watching overseas collectors going thru things here in the
U.S.  I remember the first time George Brock-Nannestad from Denmark was
over here about 30 years ago, and I let him loose in the basement while
I graded some papers.  When I went down after an hour I was astonished
to see him carefully examining a group of Grey Gull and associated
labels.  "That stuff is junk" I said.  "I know," he replied "but
although I've read and heard a lot about them I've never seen one
before."  I was just as mystified a few years later going thru things in
Denmark, but I was also at a decided disadvantage of not knowing any of
the languages.   It was hard to even figure out the era of many of the
records by just looking at them because the pressing styles were so
different on some of them.
Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com