[78-L] Oh, da shark bites wif it's teefs, dear

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Feb 15 08:56:10 PST 2009

The entire set is Ultraphon/Telefunken A752/5. If I could find the Pearl CD
reissue, it would show the matrix numbers..or if I could find the 2 78s I have
from the set..I doubt that the soloist is identified anywhere, and I've had
that set on about a dozen issues (LP, CD).

Speaking of Hawaiian guitar in odd contexts, have you ever noted Shostakovich's
"Waltz" from "The Golden Mountains" Op. 30 with Efrem Kurtz and the New York
Philharmonic? (Columbia 12881-D, ML 4233)? Also by Uriev's Orchestra on USSR
13266, a disc I've been looking for forever, but I don't know if it uses the
guitar.

dl