[78-L] Longest 78

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Feb 11 15:16:28 PST 2009

When the Soviets started making long playing records in 1953, some were
at 33 but many were at 78.  The 78 LPs were issued in both 8 and 10 inch
sizes.  I've got about 20 of them.  I think they could get around 11
minutes on the 10 inch sides..

David Lennick wrote:
> "Anyone know of the longest 10-inch 78"
>
> About 10.4 inches.
>
> Rimshot.
>
> I think El Paso runs only a bit over 4 minutes, and that was an easy length for
> 78s after 1950. A number of small labels turned out what were called "album
> length" records starting in the late 40s, with 2 or 3 cuts per side, and many
> hit the 5-minute mark..don't know if any got to 6.
>
> dl

In the late 40s Decca reissued some of their 12-inch albums like Porgy
and Bess Vol 1 and Ginger Rogers'   "Alice in Wonderland" as vinyl
10-inch sets.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com