[78-L] Mr Goon-Bones

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Feb 10 17:44:49 PST 2009

Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. wrote:
> Steve Wixson wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>      I'm brand new to the list and not sure how to proceed.  I am
>> researching the recordings of Ted 'Mr. Goon-Bones' Goon who recorded
>> in the late 40s and early 50s.

This is very confusing.  The pages that Mark B has linked to discusses a
different bones player, Freeman "Brother Bones" Davis.  The first page
quotes a 2003 article by Steve which says "Tempo Records first
approached another bones player, Ted Goon, known as Mr. Goon-Bones, but
Ted had a conflict at the time. Before Ted got his conflict resolved,
Tempo discovered Freeman and his first hit record hit the airwaves."
(Ted Goon died in 2003 at the age of 92. Ted was an Honorary member of
the Rhythm Bones Society and lived in California just a few miles from
the home of Freeman Davis.)"  So who made the record, Ted Goon or
Freeman Davis??????  I had always thought the Tempo record was by Mr.
Goon-Bones.  It would take a while for me to find where my copy is.

>>  I play rhythm bones so am personally
>> interested.

My father also played the bones.  As we were growing up, he had a set of
four made of ebony which had a deep sharp tone.  When he lost one,  my
sister and I bought a set for him but these seemed to be made of redwood
and had a lousy tone.  We could never find a good old set -- his
original set had been made before 1920.  When he was dying I realized I
had no recordings of him playing the bones, and about a month before his
death I was able to videotape him playing the bones -- still was unable
to find a good old set.  I wish I had been able to record him while he
was healthy and had his full strength.

> >Get ready to tap your toe
> >  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY8de2-UCrY

Maybe this record is worn or just being poorly tracked, but this sounds
different from what I remember the 78 as sounding.  Tempo made very high
quality recordings, and this one sounds like crap.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com