[78-L] Rhapsody

David Weiner djwein at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 10 08:12:28 PST 2009

The Levant Brunswick is quite decent..I put it on Naxos (Gershwin & Friends,
think). It's also on YouTube, or has been. According to Oscar, he was called
at
the last minute because Black's pianist didn't show up..Levant might have
been
known to Brunswick from his brief time with Ben Bernie.

The Gershwin-Whiteman electrical Rhapsody was also issued (dubbed, natch) on

Program Transcription in the early 30s.

dl

I am sure I'll get upbraided by the fidelity police for saying that I remain
very impressed by the 70s RCA Victrola LP reissue of the acoustic Whiteman
Rhapsody - it used the much-ballyhooed Stockham Soundstream process to
remaster the recording and I hear much detail in the recording there that
was inaudible on the 78 itself.

Now I'll step back and get my hands slapped for saying this......

Dave W.