[78-L] Rhapsody

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Feb 9 22:52:33 PST 2009

Michael Biel wrote:
> David Lennick wrote:
>
>> This is the Oscar Levant recording in its original issue.

I should have remembered before posting that this is Levant's SECOND
recording of the RIB.  His first was on Brunswick with Frank Black and
his Orch with Harry Reiser added on banjo.  Same cuts as the
Whiteman/Gershwin Victors on 2 12-inch sides, and Black is listed in the
ledgers as the arranger.  Dec 2, 1927, mxs XE25382-83 and XE25384-85
with takes 82 and 85 issued.  US and Australia Brunswick 20058, British
20059, and German A5040.  I haven't listened to it in a while but I
remember it as being pretty good.  Anybody know of any reissues?

Let me bring up something else about the Rhapsody Victors.  When I was a
kid, an undergrad at Temple Univ in Phila, I did a weekly radio program
with my old records called "The Record Shelf."  One week I found a copy
of the blue label acoustical and I played it on the program mentioning
that I had read that Gershwin had also made it electrically a few years
later and that I would LOVE to find a copy of it.  I got a phone call
from a guy who said he would give me a copy of the 10-inch LP reissue.
A few weeks later I played them both.  I spoke to this guy a number of
times during the three years I did that show.  I know that he taught me
a lot in those calls -- I was a young whippersnapper -- but the only
other thing I remember specifically was when he called to correct how to
say Schenck (as in Van and Schenck).  We never met in person at that
time, but years later, probably at the 74 ARSC, this gray haired guy
came up to me and introduced himself to me as my caller.  He was Wilfred
Graham.  Oh the things we talked about every year thereafter at ARSC but
I could never get him to do a presentation or write an article or to let
me videotape him even during the bull sessions.  Oh how I wish he had
invited me as a kid over to his collection.  He was a treasure-trove of
information.  He knew EVERYTHING about what went on inside Victor and
about the ledgers and vault, but kept all of it secret.  Something must
have happened when he left Victor, but he was really taking it out on us
rather than taking it out on Victor.  He knew things that Victor needed
to know and didn't want us to somehow tell them.

By the way, in case some of you do not know who Wilfred Graham was, HE
was the Victor Heritage Series.  He was the entire staff that did that
series of ruby red vinyl repressings of original acoustical operatic
masters with the gleaming gold sleeves.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com