[78-L] Jan August, Piano magic: album, series, catchphrase?

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Feb 9 19:47:00 PST 2009

Here are the contents of the two Jan August albums I have on Diamond. As you'll
see, disc numbers are all over the place, so the albums are just collections of
singles issued previously. Or not. Each has an A side and an X side. Titles are
listed on the front cover, and the correct songs are in each album.

D-5: PIANO MAGIC

2010	TEA FOR TWO/A PRETTY GIRL IS LIKE A MELODY
2030	MAKE BELIEVE/MY MELANCHOLY BABY
2031	OL' MAN RIVER/SOME OF THESE DAYS

D-10: JAN AUGUST FAVORITES

2009	MISIRLOU/BABALU
2029	BESAME MUCHO/DARK EYES
2032	MY SHAWL/WITHOUT YOU
2069	MALAGUENA/AY AY AY
(The above order is arbitrary..titles are random on the front cover)

Now then..how does Stephen happen to know that 2010 is the correct number for
T42/Pretty Girl if he doesn't have the disc? My album doesn't list the disc
numbers, only the titles.

Since neither set of discs shows the album number or the album title, someone
obviously substituted 2032 for a missing disc (2010) because it's actually the
next number chronologically. I don't have the Mercury Master Books so I don't
know if these exact same masters went over to Mercury or if he rerecorded them.

dl