[78-L] Rhapsody

David Weiner djwein at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 9 16:37:01 PST 2009

The Sanroma was the first full-length recording - on three 12-inch sides,
believe it was recorded in 1940 (?). It's now on an RCA Camden CD, with
loads of echo.  I've always found it to be an incredibly sloppy performance,
full of mistakes by the pianist.  My favorite modern recording (for what
it's worth) is the Werner Haas/Edo De Waart/Monte Carlo Orchestra on Philips
- it was also the favorite of Gershwin friend, Kay Swift, who says it was
thoroughly idiomatic and "most like George."

Dave