[78-L] The WAX SHOP New York Record Label + Jaxon & Cotton Top Sanctified Singers

Margaret Still mgstill at bellsouth.net
Sun Feb 8 12:51:18 PST 2009

Can anyone here tell me about a record label called "The Wax Shop" at 139
East 47th Street in New York City?

I have a 78, The Wax Shop 107, with two fantastic gospel reissues on it:

Rev. D. C Rice and Sanctified Congregation - "Testify - For My Lord Is
Coming Back Again"

And

Cotton Top Sanctified Singers, feat. Punch Miller on trumpet - Christ Was
Born On Christmas Morn

I already knew of D. C. Rice, but not the Cotton Tops, and a little research
revealed that Frankie "Halfpint" Jaxon was with the Cotton Top Sanctified
Singers at the time this song was released (I am assuming that its inclusion
in Document's Vol. 2 of Jaxon, which I don't own, almost certainly confirms
this). Would anyone have a picture of the group at the time Jaxon sang with
them?! The "Goodbye Babylon" liners only have a picture of Jaxon whirling a
baton (?) that doesn't show other members or note whether this photo was of
his get-up as a Cotton Top.

Thanks,
Margaret G. Still