[78-L] Yet Another Amazing Discovery - no Jack Oakie!

David Weiner djwein at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 4 17:01:40 PST 2009

Hi all,

While on the subject of discoveries, there are two unissued listings in the
Entertainment Discography & Victor Master Book that have long intrigued me:

BUDDY ROGERS-NANCY CARROLL - 	Humorous Dialogue
62675-2  "Follow Through"   -   Camden, 7/10/30

JACK OAKIE - 	Humorous Dialogue
62676-2  "Let's Go Native"    -  Camden, 7/10/30

I recently got a 10-inch white-label RCA Dynaflex (!) pressing of 62676-2,
with a pressing date of 11/10/71.

As it turns out, it is NOT by Jack Oakie, but is a dub of:
Gus Arnheim & his Orchestra
54837-7 I've Gotta Yen for You - Vocal by Ann Gray  -  Hollywood, 6/18/30

It's a "Ballyhoo" record - there is a spoken announcement about the
Paramount film "Let's Go Native" and star Jack Oakie before and after the
song; also, during the song: "You are listening to a Victor record by Gus
Arnheim and his Orchestra..."

Now the interesting part - though I don't have it, I'll bet what purports to
be the Buddy Rogers-Nancy Carroll recording is actually a dub of:
Gus Arnheim & his Orchestra
54838-6 A Peach of a Pair - Vocal by Russ Columbo  -    Hollywood, 6/18/30

Same Arnheim session, this is a song from the Paramount film "Follow Thru"
and is probably a similar Ballyhoo record to the "Oakie" disc.

Now, why was the "Oakie" record pressed by RCA in 1971? I'll wager it was
being auditioned for the 1972 RCA Vintage album, HOORAY FOR HOLLYWOOD and
when it was found to be NOT by Jack Oakie, it wasn't used.

Any thoughts?

Dave