[78-L] Mills Blue Rhythm

yves francois aprestitine at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 3 17:42:13 PST 2009

Two questions for Al, Julian,Taylor Andrea et all

1) have we all decided that "Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone" and "They Satisfy" are NOT by the Mills Blue Rhythm Band? Good hot dance but I don't think it's the same band
and
2) what is the current point of view regarding the Billy Banks Victor's from 1932, MBRB contingent or not? If not, who (maybe some unrecorded Harlem band that claimed to record then like Billy Folwer or Alberto Soccaras*??), they are great Harlem jazz with a 9 piece band, very different from the Rhythmakers, who are also excellent hot jam session jazz ("Chicago" style, but with Red Allen)

all the best
Yves Francois

PS: I know something about the Todd Rollins session with the MBRB, and of, course the Chick Bullock "Frankie and Johnny" (own the 78)

* the latter band DID record a good 78 on Brunswick, but it is not jazz (not that I only like jazz, good music is good music IMHO)