[78-L] Mills Blue Rhythm

yves francois aprestitine at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 2 21:43:04 PST 2009

Taylor
I will keep it short as possible on both subjects
some MBRB records I like:
"Futuristic Jungleism" (1931, Ed Anderson's killer solo, and I like that period composition), "Sugar Blues" (fav version, great trumpet solo, and I have the rarer take on 78 that NEVER get's reissued BTW),"Heebie Jeebies" (1931, all the last 3 have good vocals by George Morton, who also does a good "Minnie The Moocher"), an incredible "Blue Flame" and "Red Devil" (both 1931, I really love the 1931 band, the nice trumpet solos, the McCord brothers etc) "The Growl" (1932 I prefer for I like the Holmes alto, and the dance groove is KILLER, the 1934 Bluebird is really FAST),the atmospheric "Heat Waves", "Wild Waves" and the hot "White Lighting" (all 1932, feat Holmes, Anderson, Wethington et all), "Jazz Martini" (1933), "Harlem After Midnight" (either version) and "Feeling Gay", but my favorites are thew late 1934/5 era of the band. You have Red Allen, J C Higginbotham, Buster Bailey, Tab Smith and Willie Humphries all coming in and out of the band on such
 recordings like "Dancing Dogs", "Keep The Rhythm Going", "Harlem Heat", "Yes Yes" (the clarinet on that is Willie Humphries BTW), "Swinging In E Flat", "Spitfire", "Merry Go Round" and "St Louis Wiggle Rhythm" (all 1934/5). I do feel the band started to decline in 1936, the 1937 records have a different drummer and pianist, I, for one, just don't feel it's the same party without Spencer and Edgar Hayes.
   Personally, I like all the records they made, even the ballads, through 1936 (I feel the decline starts at about the time Tab Smith joins the band, though NOT because of Smith's alto and arrangements, both I like quite a bit, the rhythm starts changing and it's just not the band that does that sort of lighter swing feel as well as the groovy Harlem dance thing), I like the suspended chromatically descending arrangement on "Until the Real Thing Comes Along", where the melody is actually a half tone away from the chords, and it comes off very nice and suspended feeling, also "Once To Every Heart" has that wonderful sonic structure, rather like a dark chocolate bar, rich deep sororities, made to slow dance , now can I find a band to sound like that so I can dance....
  note: great Vitaphone short made of this band in around 1933, really great, they even do a hot rumba/biguine in "Tony's Wife"

Finally
RE: BRYANT "Ride Red Ride"
is that stock arrangement Joe Haymes or Spud Murphy? Great record (the arrangement trick at the end is on a Haymes record), does not even sound like the same song,it is so different, but the trumpet on the end is fantastic,the forgotten Jacques Butler (and BTW Taft Jordan is backing Bryant on the vocal), and didn't Charlie Frazier have the biggest sound on tenor, he was second only to Elmer Williams for the forgotten big toned players at that time in Harlem. The Bryant band was an excellent band, that could make good on stocks like almost no other band (good solo roster AND excellent readers), like Paque, Russell, Butler,Jordan, Horton, Hsughton, Battle, Wilson, Ramirez et all very much, and they even had Carter and Webster grace them for a session or two. The 1938 Decca's are NOT as good, but I DO have them...
all the best
Yves

PS I brought along (on cassette tape) the MBRB "Dancing Dogs" when I was 13 to demonstrate the music I liked so as a teenager