[78-L] Wild Waves

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Feb 2 16:51:03 PST 2009

Taylor Bowie wrote:
> That is crazy...and too bad.  I've said before that much of the problem is
> that people often wrongly infer a message or tone in an e mail (esp. from
> someone they don't know well) and then assume the worst.

And this saddens and baffles some of us, especially because there are
many of us here who are personal friends of each other and sometimes kid
each other the way we have done in person for many years.  And then
there are many of you who we have never met in person but have thought
that we have gotten to know personally thru this list.  I thought we
were all friends here.

Ron L wrote:
> > Perhaps it is the work of a troll?

Perhaps.  It is one of the reasons why almost every one of us uses our
full real names --  we tend to be more trustworthy here than on many
other lists where everyone are anonymous.

> I've found that satire,  hyperbole,  sarcasm,  etc. don't seem to travel
> well over the Internet.  Sadly to many (except for a few of us like Julian
> and me),  the easiest and least controversial way to have some fun on line
> seems to be through excruciating puns,  related to the topic at hand.

One of my friends who left this list long ago publicly complaining we
were wasting his professional time because we are not as business-like
as the 78-C is, is one of the biggest jokers and punsters in person.  He
didn't like being reminded of his participations in 78-L punfests.

> A strange year so far,  indeed...
>
> Taylor B

We are blessed to be living in interesting times.

Mike Biel   mbiel at mbiel.com