[78-L] Unexpected US Releases was Calling all Goonatics

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Feb 2 14:57:32 PST 2009

agp wrote:
>> At 22:26 02/02/2009, you wrote:
>>> I have all the Decca 78s (even have one of them on a Canadian London
>>> pressing,
>>> beautifully quiet),
>
> Now that got me to thinking -- I wonder if the Decca ones came out on
> US London or the Parlophone on Capital?

Only Bluebottle Blues/I'm Walking Backwards for Christmas came out on a North
American release, London L1684. I'd be very surprised if they put it out in the
US although the site I cited earlier says so..the Goons weren't known in the
States at all at that time. Capitol didn't put out any of Spike's singles, but
they did bring out a few volumes of The Goon Show, in the dreaded fake stereo
and with the music cues chopped out. Parlophone imports were available through
Capitol Records of Canada so we got all the originals that way, including the
Sellers LPs before they were resequenced, remixed and with bits of tape stretch
thrown in for good measure by Angel.

> And while we are on that sort of subject -- does anyone know if Hoots
> Mon by Lord Rockinghams XI on UK Decca F.11059 release in the USA?

Fried Onions is the only Lord Rockingham's XI I know of on London (1810). I see
it went all the way to #96.