[78-L] Weird Cadence Find

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Sun Feb 1 14:24:16 PST 2009

I went to Half Priced Books today to see what strange thingies I
could find. And strange it is, especially since its on a 78. We all
know of The Ballad of Davy Crockett by Bill Hayes  as was released on
Cadence 1256. But what should I find but ---- Die Ballade von Davy
Crockett by said same Bill Hayes on Cadence 1422. Its a US pressing
and yes, its the same song sung in German -- BUT here's what's weird:

1) according to my sources, Cadence 1422 is from 1962 and is Lenny
Welch doing Ebb Tide (the matrix is FO-8B-1540. I think this is an
RCA pressing, so the year can be decoded from it, but I can't
remember the code)
2) It does say Cadence Records Inc New York NY so it is not a foreign
pressing - so is it an export issue?

I do see at Both Sides Now that Cadence had a number series that
started with 1420 in October 1953 and had releases in January 1954
and January 1956. It lasted for 3 records. This one is noted but the
titles aren't listed. Wonder what this was all about? In any event..
its neat and for 25 cents -- what a deal!

Tony