[78-L] I Like Cosmo

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Sun Feb 1 12:25:03 PST 2009

My favorite odd label from the 40s is Cosmo.  For one thing,  the first 78 I
can recall seeing and playing was my mother's copy of  the Cosmo of Buddy
Moreno (with Four Chicks and Chuck) singing  In The Middle of May b/w
Surprise Party.  When I was four years old,  I liked that record so much I
put a little sticker on the label to mark it as "mine."  Was that my first
move to being a "collector"?  BTW I still have that same copy and I still
think it's a great record...fine pop stuff with a little edge of hip to it.

Four Chicks and Chuck was a great tight-harmony group,  led by Chuck
Goldstein,  long with The Modernaires.  I love that sound,  similar to The
Clark Sisters with  Dorsey.

And Cosmo seems to have better surfaces than most of the other odd labels of
the era...I have Bobby Byrne,  Del Courtney and other bands on Cosmo and
they play very well.

I wonder if Buddy Moreno is still around.  I was driving from Chicago to
someplace about twenty years ago and heard a familiar d.j. voice on the
radio...turned out to be Buddy,  broadcasting from St. Louis.

Taylor