[78-L] "Deluxe"...NOT

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Sun Feb 1 12:15:05 PST 2009

I once bought a gross little lot of Radiex on eBay...there was one in there
I wanted,  and the rest were odious vocals of the worst sort of
Mother-Baggage Coach-Sweetheart's Grave sort of tunes.

The sound of one of them was so faint I thought for a minute that it was
some sort of vertical cut which wouldn't play on my machine...the worst I've
ever heard...and of course the surface was crappy as well.

No one has mentioned those amazingly terrible pressings on Deluxe...all
those fine Billy Eckstine Orch sides with Gene Ammons,  Dexter Gordon,  etc.
Someone once wrote that they sound like they were pressed on cement...and
the recording sound on them is the worst I've heard from the electric era.
ARA sounds like 1929 Columbias compared with Deluxe.

Taylor B