[78-L] Rubbish Quality Records (was Major Records Sound Effects 78's)

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Feb 1 08:45:39 PST 2009

Julian Vein wrote:
> Roger Wade wrote:
>> For starters, a lot of Musicraft 78s were on very poor quality
>> shellac.  They could look Near Mint and play V or worse.
>>
>> Roger Wade
> ==========
> It's possible that some labels sound worse than they really are because
> they were cut at a low level.
>
>        Julian Vein

On the other hand, if the record is well cut to begin with, proper use of CEDAR
can zero right in on the crackle. A couple of years ago I transferred all the
Duke Ellington Musicrafts, from clean 78s, and that issue has been cited a few
times as the best reissue.

Processing of the master may play a part as well. When I transferred the Homer
and Jethro Kings the other week, using store stock in about half the cases, I
found a couple of discs where one side was very noisy (and looked grey, but
unworn) and the other side very quiet.