[78-L] Major Records Sound Effects 78's

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Jan 31 20:22:49 PST 2009

These were produced for theatre companies, radio stations (and television),
film producers..they made hundreds of recordings of sound effects and also
produced "mood music" (incidental or background music for radio and tv). Some
plays specifically called for Major sound effects discs, such as "The Glass
Menagerie". There's also a disc of Mae Questel singing "Button Up Your
Overcoat" which I was sent on a CD a couple of years ago, by a list member who
seems to have vanished (I've asked a couple of times..are you out there?).

Eventually you could buy Major sound effects on LPs, along with carousel music
and background music, when they issued them for home use (to add to your
wonderful home movies or slide shows).

Some people have been known to think highly of Major's discs. Most of the ones
I've encountered have been pressed on reground Grey Gull material or worse,
although eventually they put the stuff out on good vinyl.

dl