[78-L] "archival" CDs?

Antony Pepper 78-l at antonypepper.com
Fri Jan 30 10:05:58 PST 2009

Good practical advice.

Personally, I would recommend laser etching all *really important*
archived digits into granite slabs as 2D (matrix) barcodes... This
will enable the information to be recovered quite easily by equipment
yet to be designed, for probably many thousands - maybe millions - of
years to come.

Do make at least two sets, stored in different locations, each
containing at least 100% parity/redundancy info (that way the data can
be recovered from just half the total number of slabs in each set -
any half).

If that's not possible for you, you could try inkjeting the same
barcodes onto rag paper. Those sheets or rolls will be okay for least
100 years in good storage, probably a lot longer, and can be scanned
back in by whatever optical device is then available without any great
difficulty. You'll need a lot of paper though.

Do include a human-readable definition of the data format!

If you want ongoing access to the data, not just to store it,
practically speaking you need a copy on a live array of come sort.

Best,