[78-L] "archival" CDs?

fnarf at comcast.net fnarf at comcast.net
Thu Jan 29 14:22:19 PST 2009

CDs are obsolete NOW, let alone in 300 years. If it's still around then, you won't be able to find a player for it. Might as well stock up on old 8-inch floppy disks.

The information on CDs, being in a digital format, is quite independent of the media. The only real archival format for CD data is electronic, i.e., computer hard disk, with backups onto a variety of media as technology changes (Ultrium backup tapes, for instance or even internet backup). If you want it in 300 years, CDs will be about as relevant as cuneiform tablets -- and so will today's hard disks and backup tapes. If your archivist is expecting to be able to pull your media out of a drawer in 300 years and play it, he or she is dreaming.

I'm pretty skeptical of any long-term advantage from "gold" CDs, anyways. It sounds like marketing-speak to me, along the lines of the green marker pens and the directional speaker wire.

Because of the electronic nature of the equipment, even in 50 years, archaic digital music formats like CDs will be much less usable than 78s or other grooved records. Acoustic wind-up phonos, or even older electric turntables and amps, much easier to keep alive than a CD player or other circuit-board gear.

--
Steve.

From: Rodger Holtin <rjh334578 at yahoo.com>