[78-L] Scroll label

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Wed Jan 28 13:44:20 PST 2009

I have checked in a large series of Victor label pictures when the first scroll appears.
In the popular 10" 16000 etc-series the lowest numbered issues with a scroll label are:
19427 by Vernon Dalhart (Prisoner's Song) (the 18 Mar 26 electrical remake, I assume), and
19747 by Carl T. Sprague, which is after the introduction of electric recordings with
ca. Vic 19621/19626.
And then 19755 by Seger Ellis.
There might be more scrolls in this numerical area, since 19741 (Sousa) and
19742 (Paul Robeson) exist as repressings with "double circle" labels.

The lowest-numbered scroll found in the 35000 series is 35774 (35756 No No Nanette is still batwing).

Han Enderman
===

Is there such a thing as an acoustical with a Scroll label? It would have to be
something that was kept in print from before 1926, not a reissue, since
acoustical reissues used Batwing labels and a distinctive run-out groove. And
the 1930 Victor catalog still shows many acousticals with their original
catalog numbers (Fritz Kreisler, for example)..did these retain Batwing labels
after 1926?
dl
<<<