[78-L] eBay cross-border

Stephen Davies SDavies at mtroyal.ca
Wed Jan 28 09:23:05 PST 2009

        Thanks for the comment about eBay and PayPal sometimes conspiring
to hold up a transaction.  Since my seller is new, and it was a
cross-border transaction, I can understand how we got singled out for
being held up until I gave feedback.
        It's too bad about the smashed record since it was one that I
REALLY wanted and it appeared to be in excellent condition until it was
shipped.  But it was only a buck, so what can I say.
        I have had other issues with eBay, tho, as a Canadian.  When I
view auctions I am presented with different timezones.  Supposedly, there
is one timezone used as a standard, but in Canada it's EST, and in the USA
it's PST.  Why not harmonize?  Moreover, why isn't it *MY* timezone that
appears?  especially since eBay keeps telling me my postal code in every
transaction.  How hard could it be to figure out what time it is in my
neck of the woods?
        Secondly, there are many U.S. sellers who don't allow their stores
to be viewed by Canadians, I guess because they won't do international
shipping.  But eBay keeps sending me links to their goods based on my
saved searches, etc.  I often find the disc I want at a reasonable price
only to find it's really a dead end.  I can neither buy the disc nor view
the seller's other items.
        And the ton of email I get from eBay is pointless.

        Finally, I felt ripped off after committing to buy an item and
only then getting to see what the shipping rate would be.  I was very
discouraged to find myself billed with an exorbitant amount.  But I
coughed up anyway.  And then .... yesterday I found a partial refund from
two sellers based on the fact that they had overcharged for shipping!  How
wonderful is that?
- Stephen D
Calgary

addressed, and may
contain confidential, personal, and or privileged information. Please
contact the sender
immediately if you are not the intended recipient of this communication,
and do not copy,
distribute, or take action relying on it. Any communication received in
error, or subsequent
reply, should be deleted or destroyed.
This communication is intended for the use of the recipient to which it is addressed, and may