[78-L] Six Brown Brothers as Columbia Saxophone Sextette

Rodger Holtin rjh334578 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 27 15:52:13 PST 2009

About a year ago I read a fascinating book called "That Moaning Saxophone" by Bruce Vermazen
http://www.amazon.com/That-Moaning-Saxophone-Brothers-Dawning/dp/B000VIJ0X4
and he, if I remember correctly, affirmed that the Columbia Saxophone Sextette was in fact a Harry Yerkes group and had nothing whatsoever to do with any of the Brown Brothers.  Seems like he also said the brothers' presence on records was never so dilute as to have but one genuine brown on the wax, but I could be wrong on that one.

I found it an engageing book and very appropos to the discussion of race, minstrels and all that jazzbo stuff.  At times it seemed as if that was the focus of the book and nearly bogged me down, but I got through it.

He gave glowing praise for the help he got on the discography from folks I recognized from The List, but I guess they may have left for some reason.  I see that nobody else has mentioned his book in the whole Brown Brothers thread - unless of course, it's under some other spurious subject line that I have chosen ignore.

Rodger

For Best Results use Victor Needles.

.