[78-L] eBay payment held hostage by buyers!

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Jan 27 12:57:08 PST 2009

Julian Vein wrote:
> Stephen Davies wrote:
>
>>         Having used the 78-L as a primer, I contacted my eBay seller after
>> my first ever smashed record arrived.
>>         He expressed sympathy but stood by the quality of his inadequate
>> packaging.  We'll set that issue aside.
>>         However, he's asking me to leave positive feedback because he says
>> PayPal is still holding up my payment to him.  Is that possible with eBay?
>>  I assumed that my payment to him went straight thru before he shipped.
>>         I can see how savvy yet unscrupulous people can exploit such an
>> unmoderated bazaar like eBay.
>>
>> - Stephen D
>> in Calgary
>>
> ==========
> I had the experience of PayPal not paying a seller even though I'd
> received notification from them that they had.

Who is "them"?  Was it PayPal that informed you the seller had been paid
or was it the seller saying they had been paid?
> I had to wait for a bank
> statement to find out that my account hadn't been debited.
>
>       Julian Vein

You are paying from a bank or a credit card?  I would think it possible
(but not ethical) for PayPal to debit your account but hold the money
from payment to the seller.  Your statement would show payment, but it
would be payment to PayPal.

I am suspicious of Stephen D's seller saying that PayPal would be
waiting to see Stephen's buyer feedback before paying.  Feedback is
optional.  Amd since payment is the ONLY requirement of a buyer, the
seller should give seller feedback as soon as payment is received in
order to expect feedback from the buyer.  In fact, that should be the
rule -- seller gets feedback only after they leave feedback for the buyer.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com