[78-L] Art Tatum recordings

RUSSELL BARNES r.barnes4 at btopenworld.com
Tue Jan 27 02:47:31 PST 2009

Thanks Julian

RB

--- On Tue, 27/1/09, Julian Vein <julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

From: Julian Vein <julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [78-L] Art Tatum recordings
To: "78-L Mail List" <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
Date: Tuesday, 27 January, 2009, 10:16 AM

RUSSELL BARNES wrote:
> Re Art Tatum :
>
> The late Sinclair Traill  (Editor and Founder of the UK's Jazz
Journal)  once told me that in the 1930's, he saw Tatum on the stage of a
small North of England Theatre.

> His performance was sandwiched between a number of boring and
inconsequential acts - and few, if any, of the audience appreciated the artistry
placed before them.

> I have often wondered if the BBC took the oportunity to record him.
>
> RB
I was told by Alf Lumby (an Erroll Garner collector) that Tatum appeared
on the BBC's radio show "In Town Tonight" at the time, but may
have only
been as an interviewee. He was paid the princely sum of £5.00.

      Julian Vein