[78-L] Benzaquin ~ Cocoanut Grove

Ron L lherault at bu.edu
Mon Jan 26 06:50:33 PST 2009

We had a speaker at our North Attleborough (we're about 35 mi south of
Boston) Historical Society, a few years ago, I believe it was John Deedy or
Deady.  I'll have to look for his brochure.   His dad was, if memory serves,
the state police fire examiner.   He gave us a great talk with an insider
perspective, about the Grove.   I believe the band's girl singer made it out
with some injuries but recovered.   One brighter moment he told us about
concerned a group of friends who tried to get in the club but were turned
away because of the crowd.  They left their car in the lot and went to a
hotel lounge a short distance away and ended up staying at the hotel
overnight, unaware of the tragedy unfolding down the street.  The police
used registration info from cars remaining in the lot to ID dead/disfigured,
missing/badly injured, and of course assumed that the unclaimed car belonged
to someone in the club.  Later that day, the absent revelers retrieved their
car after showing proof of ownership and started home, unaware that their
families had been notified that they were missing.  Up route One they
headed.   They passed their family going South on the two lane road.  Yep,
they were spotted and re-united.

Ron L