[78-L] Racially Offensive Language/Robeson.^

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Sun Jan 25 15:16:58 PST 2009

And Julian wrote--
>==============
>I may be wrong but I don't recall hearing the term "The Holocaust"
>before the TV series.

True that.  Nobody in the 1930s  or 1940s referred to it that
way.  In fact, a well-respected Boston author and talk show host,
Paul Benzaquin, wrote a book about the Cocoanut Grove Fire and called
it "Holocaust," which meant "a huge fire" back then.  When the book
came out for re-issue in the 70s, he had to change its title because
the meaning of the word had completely changed.

The black newspapers of the early 1900s referred to black people as
"tan" or "sepia" or "race men" (and women).  Sometimes they used
negro.  Sometimes colored people.  There were many terminologies, and
no one word seemed to be preferred.  I've even found a number of uses
of "Afro-American," since the black newspaper from  Baltimore used that name.