[78-L] Gay?

Tom nice_guy_with_an_mba at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 25 13:12:26 PST 2009

I'd have thought "homophobic", at least in the context in which it's used today, would mean something closer to "fear of being (sexually) attracted to men".

"Fear of men" it seems to me, would over-generalize the term since, for most of us, if we're at all normal, we're also close to our fathers, our brothers and at least one close male friend or two where there's no sexual attraction whatsoever.

Or you could think of the wording in the great poem by Walt Whitman:

When lilacs last in the dooryard bloom'd,
And the great star early droop'd in the western sky in the night,
I mourn'd, and yet shall mourn with ever-returning spring.

Ever-returning spring, trinity sure to me you bring,
Lilac blooming perennial and drooping star in the west,
And thought of him I love.

Walt Whitman, "Memories of President Lincoln", 1865

Just my $0.02 worth, as always.

Tom