[78-L] Stephen Foster

Rodger Holtin rjh334578 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 25 12:54:09 PST 2009

In my experience, the use of "gwine" is not limited to the rural black population.  I have heard it used here in "higher" southern culture, black and white, as well.  If the PhD done lernt it from his pappy's mammy, it's easy to see much cross-culture exchange, particularly over time.  Now, how prevalent that was in Foster's day, I dunno, but I do recall hearing that record of  Jimmie Rodgers meets the Carter family, and at the time took him to be black, which he was not, but was certainly partially raised by them.  I'm in a university setting here, too, with some very cosmopolitan folks, and I still hear this stuff.

Rodger

For Best Results use Victor Needles.

.