[78-L] Gay?

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jan 25 10:11:44 PST 2009

DAVID BURNHAM wrote:
> Earl wrote:
>
> (I'm not using
> "gay"--I'm gay, but not homosexual--an example of a word being stolen)
>
> In the old 78 recording of "My Old Kentucky Home", I'm sure Foster wasn't implying that in summer the African-Americans are homosexual.  (I always try to include a reference to a 78 in any posting.)
>
> But talking about stolen words, doesn't "homophobic" really mean a fear of men?  I'm really asking because I don't know - if it doesn't, what does?
>
> db
Actually, it was I who wrote that. What I'm objecting to the modern
pilfering of the English language to supply euphemisms for certain
practices that are frowned upon by some. Conversely, if I describe
myself as "straight", that doesn't mean I'm not a homosexual, but that
I'm honest.

Have you noticed that people who live normal lives are often described
in negative terms, e.g. non-drinker, non-believer, non-smoker,
non-driver etc?

       Julian Vein