[78-L] Song "The Broken Record"

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jan 25 01:44:07 PST 2009

yves francois wrote:
>     ... and I am so glad to see this post and i can thank the gentleman Friend, Tobias and Bunch for such a catchy tune. I LOVE the Mound City Blue Bowers version, almost desert island (even if it sounds like "dummy " lyrics, but heck, I also love "Tea For Two's" lyrics), will have to play it in the next day or so, BYW have they figured out who is singing on the MCBB record (I know that McKenzie is playing the comb on this one and Berigan and the wonderful and criminally under rated tenor sax player Forrest Crawford is also on it)...
> All the best to the three of you (and to David for the channeling LOL)
> Yves Francois
===============
Seems there are two takes. Vocal group is the Top Hatters, but no-one
seems to know their identity.

Mound City Blue Blowers

Bunny Berigan (tp) Forrest Crawford (cl,ts) Dave Barbour (g) Mort
Stuhlmaker (b) Dave Tough (d) Red McKenzie (comb) Top Hatters (vcl trio)
New York, January 3, 1936
60295-A    The broken record (tth vcl)    Pan 25841
60295-B    The broken record (tth vcl)    Champ 40081, Jazz Arch JA-3,
Timeless
         (Du)CBC1-018 [CD]
60296-A    The music goes 'round and around (tth vcl)    Champ 40081,
Jazum 22, Jazz Arch JA-3, MCA 1362,
         Timeless (Du)CBC1-018 [CD]
Note: Panachord issued as by "Len Herman and his Orchestra".

      Julian Vein