[78-L] You never answered Chris Zwarg's question

fnarf at comcast.net fnarf at comcast.net
Fri Jan 23 16:56:32 PST 2009

I thought I just did that.

The positive connotation is that by infecting carefree white entertainment (built on a structure of racism) with frightful but irresistible blackness, however fearfully, awkwardly, and condescendingly it was done, the collision of the races was able to find a cultural outlet. It was an ugly process at first, but slave culture and racist culture were an ugly business, as was much of the nineteeth and early twentieth century. That ugliness got worse as time progressed, leading into the horrors of the Jim Crow era, but it did ultimately provide an outlet for black culture to make itself known, and for the necessary miscegenation to occur to make a truly American culture. White culture needed black culture every bit as much as blacks needed whites. Minstrelsy is just the first peep of the black face over the wall of a slave society.

--
Steve.

From: Tom <nice_guy_with_an_mba at yahoo.com>