[78-L] Stephen Foster

Chris Zwarg doctordisc at truesoundtransfers.de
Fri Jan 23 14:49:07 PST 2009

At 23:38 23.01.2009, you wrote:
>"Gwine" instantly identifies the speaker as African-American. As for demeaning, the song clearly portrays blacks as childlike, fun-loving but unsophisticated, and so on. This is clearly demeaning, and plays into common perceptions of black intellect. Darkies love to bet on horses all day, isn't that cute?
>
>--
>Steve.

OK now we play "knock one down and I put up another". WHAT'S WRONG WITH CUTE SILLY SONGS ABOUT CUTE SILLY PEOPLE OF ANY COLOUR? They quickly get boring, that's all, and I already said the song is pretty banal. What's "Doggie in the window" to your jaundiced ear? Dog-demeaning speciesism? Please!

Would that people of all shades were a bit more childlike, fun-loving and unsophisticated on average, rather than spending their time looking maniacally for non-existent weapons of mass destruction, or making plans how to best do in their neighbour....!

Chris Zwarg