[78-L] Stephen Foster

soundthink at aol.com soundthink at aol.com
Fri Jan 23 12:32:23 PST 2009

One cannot analyze the works of Foster without understanding the times in which he lived. Minstrelsy - coarse, vile minstrelsy - was the order of the day. Foster, like Lincoln, reluctantly understood that slavery was the accepted social form of the day, but believed that blacks should be treated with more compassion. In writing his songs, Foster tried to present slaves in a compassionate, sympathetic light. Of course, from today's perspective, this appears to be cloying sentimentalism, but considering the songs that were being written back then, Foster's were definitely against the grain. He began his career by writing simplistic songs such as "Camptown Races" (published in 1850) for the minstrel stage. As his career progressed, his songwriting matured. Later songs such as "Old Black Joe" and "My Old Kentucky Home" were deliberate attempts to humanize African Americans - not enough by today's standards, but you must once again consider the venal alternatives being written. He stopped using the word "darkie" in his songs and refrained from using other epithets in lyrics. Foster wanted to escape the music of minstrelsy, something that highly offended him. He wrote what was probably the first song about a national economic downturn, "Hard Times Come Again No More." It was only when his sales began to decline and he became financially desperate in the early 1860s did he resort to writing minstrel songs again.

Stephen Foster was sympathetic to African Americans, an anomaly in his time. He had a tragic, frustrating life, ripped off by E.P. Christy, who published Foster's songs under his own name. Despite selling hundreds of thousands of copies of his music, he only earned $15,000 during his lifetime. Here is an article I wrote several years ago on Foster, who was the first American to try to earn a living as a professional songwriter.

http://www.musicreports.com/smart_licensing/content_article.php?article_id=64&title=Stephen+Foster+and+the+Birth+of+an+Industry

Cary Ginell