[78-L] Stephen Foster

Chris Zwarg doctordisc at truesoundtransfers.de
Fri Jan 23 11:46:52 PST 2009

At 20:17 23.01.2009, you wrote:
>Tom wrote:
>
>Stephen Foster) who made a career of sorts, by depicting African-Americans as wide-eyed, lustful, disorganized, ignorant and inferior to whites.

>Maybe you  know different Foster songs than I do but I can't think of one Foster lyric which is guilty of this observation.  In my experience, Foster always depicted blacks as hard working, God fearing, family devoted, honest, fun-loving people.

I have already asked Tom in an earlier posting to quote actual examples that prove his extravagant claim. Let's see what he comes up with - no answer will be just as illuminating than any other in this case! I'd venture a bet he not only will not be able and willing to quote any such Foster (or for that matter "coon song") lyric, but he has never actually listened closely to any such songs, which by Oscar Wilde's definition naturally makes him the ideal person to talk about the subject...!

Chris Zwarg