[78-L] Race observations

fnarf at comcast.net fnarf at comcast.net
Fri Jan 23 10:23:39 PST 2009

From: Tom <nice_guy_with_an_mba at yahoo.com>

> What is it, exactly, about American art forms that depict African-Americans in
> the most demeaning, pejorative, and degrading light that you guys find redeeming
> and worthwhile?

Demeaning, degrading, yes -- but not EXCLUSIVELY demeaning and degrading. They're good songs, too, and Jolson's work is part of a straight progression to Crosby, Sinatra, and all the rest. Yes, it's racist, but it's possible to listen to racist material in a non-racist way, by acknowledging the darkness out of which it springs, and how it addresses that darkness, and how that theme worked itself out over the ensuing ninety years. I'm not sure that's how some of our other correspondents are listening to it, though.

Abolishing racist products from study means abolishing American history from study, up to yesterday. There's nothing shameful about trying to understand how racism manifests itself. There IS something shameful in pretending it's not there, though.

--
Steve