[78-L] Jack Denny, brief bio

simmonssomer simmonssomer at comcast.net
Thu Jan 22 17:20:42 PST 2009

Denny made at least four Brunswicks sides that I know of in January 1930
without vocals for export to Argentina.
That is, Br 4697 and 4698 were made with vocals and then without.
Other interesting fact..Scrappy Lambert is the vocalist on several April
1926 Montreal (Plattsburg?) sides. One of them "Hello Montreal" Br 3884.
What would Scrappy, a studio singer of choice, ostensibly with all the New
York work he could handle, be doing in Canada with Jack Denny?  Anybody?
Some of the fairly decent Denny sides   "Hello Montreal; "Why Can't You Love
That Way?" Br 4551, "Hangin' On The Garden Gate" Br 4698; "Say A Little
Prayer For Me" Br 6088; "Out Of Nowhere" Br 6088; "My River Home"
Victor 24185.  Still , this outfit didn't have much pep.
Strange instumentation on that Vitaphone. 4 violins, four reeds, a harp and
a couple of guys messing around in the rear.

Al Simmons