[78-L] Jack Denny ~Joseph C Smith

Harold Aherne leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 22 13:07:01 PST 2009

This could be the clip whereof you speak, a 1933 Vitaphone short subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIYPNoJKbNE

His orchestra does sometimes border on salon music, and the lack of brass
in the 1932-33 band is rather atypical. But I enjoy the soft, even pensive tones of
Denny's unit, particularly in "Goodnight My Love" from 13 Apr. 1932 (Vic 22983).

I'm an inveterate Joseph C. Smith fan. His recordings of "Smiles" and "Tulip Time",
among others, rank among my very favourite recordings, perhaps because
I find the late 10s and early 20s such an interesting time. The best of his Victor
discs might be "Rainy Day Blues" (Vic 18561, 23 Apr 1919), and I think his
"Three O'Clock in the Morning" from January 1922 might be a notch above
Whiteman's.

-Harold