[78-L] Jack Denny, brief bio

Harold Aherne leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 22 12:42:22 PST 2009

Thanks for all this valuable info! Contra George Simon, I've found Denny's band
to be quite enjoyable, at least in the handful of recordings I've heard. Simon's assessments
can be interesting, but bands that date from before the mid-30s, or which did their
best work before then, are not Simon's forte. I liked his chapter on Isham Jones, but
Jones's band and recordings from the 20s are treated virtually as footnotes. Even
Jean Goldkette isn't given the credit that he clearly deserves, and Simon and I simply
have ontologically different views on society bands.

-Harold